Sanger, Calif. (May 6, 2020) – The City of Sanger is pleased to announce the launch of the Great Plates Delivered program to support seniors and local businesses needing assistance during the COVID-19 crisis. The City will partner with multiple local food providers to deliver three nutritious meals a day to adults 65 and older and adults 60-64 who are at high-risk from COVID-19, to support them staying home and healthy. The City will be able to serve up to 100 participants through the current program end date of June 10, 2020.
The program will also serve as a form of economic relief to local businesses and workers struggling to stay afloat during the pandemic. Food providers will be determined based on several factors, including the ability to meet volume and nutritional standards, source local produce/meats if able, prioritization of local jobs and worker retention, and more. Restaurants already participating in a state or federal meal service program, including the CalFresh Restaurant Meals Program, will not be eligible to participate.
Per the State’s direction, individuals who wish to enroll in the Great Plates Delivered program must fall under the following criteria to qualify:
- Individuals who are 65 or older, or 60-64 and at high-risk as defined by the CDC, including:
- Individuals who are COVID-19 positive (as documented by a state/local public health official or medical health professional),
- Individuals who have been exposed to COVID-19 (as documented by a state/local public health official or medical health professional), or
- Individuals with an underlying condition.
- Individuals must live alone or with one other program-eligible adult.
- Individuals must not be currently receiving assistance from other state or federal nutrition assistance programs, such as CalFresh or Meals on Wheels.
- Individuals must affirm an inability to prepare or obtain meals.
The Great Plates Delivered program is expected to run through June 10, 2020. Individuals interested in receiving meals can call 211. Businesses interested in participating can submit a Food Provider Interest Form at https://covid19.ca.gov/restaurants-deliver-home-meals-for-seniors/ by noon, Monday, May 11, 2020.
For more information about the Great Plates Delivered program and guidelines visit https://covid19.ca.gov/restaurants-deliver-home-meals-for-seniors/.
City of Sanger - (559) 876-6300, ext. 1500 - Email: GreatPlatesSanger@ci.sanger.ca.us.us