Junior Fire Marshal Program
What is the Junior Fire Marshal Program
The Junior Fire Marshal program gives young people the chance to learn about fire prevention and life safety. This program is developed as a partnership between the Sanger Fire Department and Sanger Elementary Schools. Under the leadership and guidance of Chief Greg Tarascou, Captain Greg DuPuis, and Fire Fighter/Paramedic, Adam Melikian youth will learn:
- Fire extinguishing
- How to identify potential hazards
- How to reduce hazards around the home and school
- Emergency Preparedness at home and at their school
- Injury prevention
- Recover from an emergency situation
- Leadership and goal setting
In addition, they will be responsible for:
- Monthly Fire Drills at their school
- Fire inspections of their school
- To educate their school about safety through the monthly safety tips.
- Attend quarterly meetings at the fire house.
The Junior Fire Marshal Program is presented to all 5th grade students throughout Sanger. This enables the Fire Department to be an active presence in elementary schools and to instill a sense of duty and responsibility to be safe. Junior Fire Marshal’s build a strong bond with their peers in the Sanger Fire Department and within their school by working together to meet common safety goals. The Sanger Fire Department will lead, guide and teach the Juniors at the beginning of the program, however, it is the Juniors role to take these leadership and decision making skills within their school.
Benefits from this program
- Youth have an opportunity to develop and insight and interest in emergency services.
- Youth gain understanding and appreciation on how to be safe.
- Develop skills and experience in volunteerism, leadership and advocacy.
- Receive interactive activities that they can take home.
- Learn how to become resilient leaders in promoting positive messages and areas of safety.
- Develop confidence in your new abilities and yourself.
This is the only program of its kind in the Central Valley, which began in 2015 and serving 5 schools including: Reagan, Wilson, Madison, Jackson and Lincoln. In June of 2016, these students were honored at the Sanger City Council for their hard work throughout the school.
If you are interested in joining us in this upcoming school year, contact the Sanger Fire Department at (559) 875-6568. We will be happy to provide you with all the information to get your students involved.